LINKS to pages in the France and Black Forest site and to the Colin Day Travelling Days series:

     1 : Journey to Kork
     2 : Reims
     3 : Metz
     4 : Kork
     5 : Triberg

     6 : Donaueschingen
     7 : Staufen
     8 : Titisee
     9 : Freiburg
    10 : Journey from Kork

HOME PAGE : France and Black Forest

HOME PAGE : Colin Day's Links



In the year 1111 Titisee had its first documentary mention. In 1635 the names Dettesee and Titinsee first appear in documents. As of 1750 the name Titisee was commonly applied to the town. The town was put together from four parts, or valleys: Altenweg, Spriegelsbach, Schildwende and Jostal. For this reason, the town bore the name Vierthäler or Viertäler ("Four Valleys") until 1929.

Titisee is a lake in the southern Black Forest. It is said it got its name from Roman Emperor Titus. It covers an area of 1.3 square kilometres and has an average depth of 20 metres. It owes its creation to the Feldberg glacier.

The lake's outflow, at 840 metres above sea level, is the river Gutach (or as it is called farther downstream, the Wutach). On the north shore lies the spa town of the same name, today a part of the municipality of Titisee-Neustadt.


Titisee takes a long time to freeze in the winter owing to the winds, which almost always keep the surface water moving. For the lake to be opened for public use, ice samples must reach a thickness of at least 16 centimetres. Specific, demarcated areas of the lake are opened, but never the whole lake.

These regulations were put in place in the early 1980s after there had been an accident. Until that time, the lake had been used in the wintertime as a landing strip for small aircraft. A tractor with a snowplough was used to keep the landing strip free of snow.

One winter, however, the tractor broke through the ice and sank to the bottom of the lake, taking the driver with it.


The resort town of Titisee-Neustadt is essentially geared for tourists...........




buttongo.jpg - 7212 Bytes
buttonnext.jpg - 5586 Bytes